Monday 3 February 2014

Does anyone else enjoy Scam baiting?


From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scam_baiting:
Scam baiting is a form of Internet vigilantism, where the vigilante poses as a potential victim to the scammer in order to waste their time and resources, gather information that will be of use to authorities, and publicly expose the scammer. It is primarily used to thwart advance-fee fraud scams and can be done out of a sense of civic duty, as a form of amusement, or both.

I do it for the amusement but the scammers aren't taking the bait lately. Here are the last two where they didn't bite back because I was too sarcastic. (spelling mistakes are theirs)

------------------------------------------------------------
The first one:

From: Apex Foundation claimagent@qq.com
Jan 15

to xxx.xxx

Ref Number: APLUK/9GM/3688
Batch Number: APEX-ENGINE0537

Dear Internet User,


We congratulate you over your success in the following official publication of results of the E-mail electronic online Sweepstakes organized by Apex Foundation held on the 2nd January 2014. Your email ID has won the total sum of GBP1, 000.000.00 (One Million Pounds Sterling) during the electronic E-mail online Powerball Draws For Internet Users.


You are advised to contact the claims department immediately to redeem your prize.


Mr. Robert Benz

Claim Agent
Tel: +447012933191
Fax: +44 7005968749
Email: claimoffice@qq.com
International prize Department


You are required to send the below information to the claim agent.


1. Full name:

2. Country:
3. Contact Address:
4. Telephone Number:
5. Marital Status:
6. Occupation:
7. Sex:
8. Age

The claim agent will attennd to your claim upon the reciept of your response.


CONGRATULATIONS!!!

User Award Promotion Team


and my response ...


xxx@xxx

Jan 17

to claimoffice 

Hello Mr Benz

Oh thank you soooo much. I've never won anything in my life! With the one million pounds prizemoney I'll be able to take that round-the-world cruise I've always wanted and pay for that new kidney I need.


1. Full name: Phil Sherman aka Internet User

2. Country: Australia
3. Contact Address: 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney NSW 2000
4. Telephone Number: 0419-317-446
5. Marital Status: Single and desperate. Maybe I'll be able to find a girl with my new found fortune? What dating sites are good, do you know?
6. Occupation: Rat catcher - man, the rats in Sydney are the size of suitcases!
7. Sex: Not very often
8. Age: 33 1/3

Again, thank you so much. I look forward to hearing from you. When can I expect payment? I have a lot of bills to pay so next Friday would be good for me.


Are you related to that Mercedes fellow?



Phil Sherman


-----------------------------------------------


and the second one ...



From: Hatten Wanetta <hattenfunwanetta@outlook.com>

Hello,
Today our Company, MVL Company, is in need of sales representatives in Australia.

Our Company deals with designer goods and branded items. We've been providing our customers with exclusive products for more than five years, and we believe that the applicant for the position must have great communication skills, motivation, desire to earn money and will to go up the ladder. All charges related to this opening are covered by the Company. Your main duties include administrative support on orders and correspondence, controlling purchase orders and expense reports.

Part-time job salary constitutes 580AUD a week.
Full-time job is up to 920AUD per week .
Plus we have bonus system for the best workers!

To apply for the vacancy or to get more details about it, please email us directly back to this email.

Hope to hear from you soon!
Best regards,
Hatten Wanetta



my reply ...

To: Hatten Wanetta <hattenfunwanetta@outlook.com>

Hello Hatten,

That's a unique name! Is it English? It reminds me of Hattie from that TV show Parenthood. And your middle name is Fun. How great is that!!

I looked up your company on the internet and am quite impressed!

Your proposal sounds very interesting because I'm looking for a new job at the moment.

  • I have rather good communication skills, however does the job involve much use of the telephone? I used to work in a call centre and had to quit because I kept having nightmares about being devoured by a giant cell phone. If it just means using a computer, it would be fine 
  • I am keenly motivated to be successful 
  • I have a tremendous desire to earn money and keep up the payments on my Porsche 
  • and I am willing to go up the ladder because I am not scared of heights and I prefer not walking under a ladder, in any case

I would prefer a full-time position but a part-time position is OK too. I am sure you will be so impressed by my work-ethic that you will promote me in no time at all.

Is it possible to get paid in $US rather than $AUD? It's OK if you can't.

Please send me an application form and I will complete immediately and send back with my latest CV.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Ian :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment